The Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Education for Surgeons has been developed as a collaborative effort between the Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland (ASGBI) and the Centre for Medical Education (CME) at the University of Dundee (UoD). The educational material included in the course is specifically developed and adapted for surgeons. The course is a distance learning experience and designed to address the various challenges that surgeons meet in their day-to-day educational commitments.
What does the course offer?
- An opportunity to develop your expertise in medical education providing:
- Credibility as a teacher
- Better understanding of education
- Improved knowledge and skills
- Enjoyment of teaching and learning
- An overview of the key issues as they relate to curriculum development, teaching and learning, assessment and research.
- A study of one aspect in greater depth; e.g. relevant material for a surgeon given responsibility for assessment within his/her workplace.
- Recognition, in the form of a university award, for experience and training gained in the field of education.
- An introduction to research in medical education with a view to further study in a field of interest.
- Potential for academic publications as course work on occasion leads to published articles.
- Automatic entitlement to full membership of the Higher Education Academy, the national body for all those who teach in higher education.
Currently, the course offers six tailor-made units for surgeons:
- S1: Assessment in Surgery: Designing an Assessment System
- S2: Teaching and Experiential Learning in the Operating Theatre
- S3: Working in a Surgical Team
- S4: Teaching Practical Skills
- S5: Teaching Role of Surgeons
- S6: Assessment of Surgical Technical Skills.
The course participants study a core curriculum in medical education and, in addition, have the opportunity to select course units relevant to their educational needs, interest and practice. Surgeons participating in the PG Certificate in Medical Education for Surgeons may choose to study all, some or none of the surgical units mentioned above.
Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Education for Surgery (pdf file 2.7MB)