Here you will find general information about the Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland including our history, strategic aims, who sits on our Executive Board and Committees, as well as who our national and international partners are.
About the Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
The Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland is the SAC defined specialty association for General Surgery. ASGBI’s umbrella status for the general surgery specialty associations and societies is reflected in the structure of its Council and Committees. The Presidents, or their designated representatives, of the following societies are full members of Council:
- Association of Breast Surgery
- Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland
- Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons
- Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons
- British Association of Surgical Oncology
- British Transplant Society
- British Hernia Society
Additionally, the Council includes representation from:
- Association of Surgeons in Training
- UEMS Monospecialist Committee in General Surgery
ASGBI is, therefore, the only organisation covering General Surgery and all the specialties throughout the UK and Ireland. We are best placed to reconcile the needs of the developing specialties with the requirement to provide an emergency surgical service.